I like to listen to Christian financial planner Dave Ramsey on the radio. As a matter of fact, we recently hosted him at Thomas Road Baptist Church. He helps people get their financial houses in order, which is important. I think we also need to continuously focus on keeping our spiritual lives in order.
We live in a society full of temptations. There’s always something interesting on TV or there’s a golf course beckoning to us or a flea market offering lots of great deals. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with playing a round of golf or making a great purchase, but these things become problems when they dominate our time and subtract from our time in God’s Word.
I try to set a daily routine for myself that involves Bible study, prayer and communion with God. When I am focused on God’s Word and His commands, I see harmony in my heart, at home and in ministry. But there are two levels of bad news for those looking to get organized in the new year: (1) we are our own worst enemies and are easily sidetracked and (2) Satan wants to lure us away from our spiritual priorities.
Here’s a six-part list that might help you (and me) get organized for service to Him in the new year:
1. Ask God to give you a hunger for His Word (Psalm 63:1).
2. Ask God to give you a hunger to be a witness (Acts 26:17-18).
3. Ask God to give you a hunger to influence your family (I Peter 3:15-16).
4. Ask God to give you a hunger for bold faith (Ephesians 6:19-20).
5. Ask God to give you a hunger for prayer (James 5:16).
6. Ask God to give you a hunger for service (Romans 12:11).
Your friend in Christ,